Mobile marketing used to be just a small part of digital marketing. Nowadays, it’s the most important channel for reaching customers, and companies recognize its many benefits. To keep up with this dynamic market, make sure to check out our list of mobile marketing statistics and trends for 2023.
Mobile Marketing Market Statistics
To start our list of mobile marketing statistics, let’s examine how big the mobile marketing market is.
- The mobile marketing market size in 2022 was $17.6 billion. It is estimated to reach $18.1 billion by the end of 2023. (Persistence Market Research)
- By 2032, the mobile marketing market will reach a whopping $91 billion, growing at a 17.8% CAGR. (Persistence Market Research)
Mobile Usage Statistics
Mobile devices have become an essential part of our lives. But how much do we use mobile phones? Let’s find out.
Data source: data.ai and Statista
- Almost 60% of website traffic in 2023 is mobile.
- In 2023, there are almost 7 billion smartphone users in the world – 6.92 billion to be exact. That’s 86% of the world’s population.
- The number of smartphone users is projected to grow to 7.13 billion in 2024 and 7.33 billion in 2025.
- China is the country with the most smartphone users, while Thailand is the country with the least smartphone users.
- Apple and Samsung are dominating the mobile manufacturer market with a combined market share of 85% (59% Apple and 26% Samsung).
- In 2023, there are 148 billion mobile connections worldwide. That’s more than the entire world’s population, which currently stands at 8.019 billion.
- People spent a total of 1 trillion hours using mobile phones in 2022. That’s 9% more than in 2021.
- Per day, people spent 11.2 billion hours using their phones collectively in 2022.
- In 2022, each user spent an average of 5 hours per day on their mobile phones, which is one-third of daily waking hours. That’s 3% more than in 2021.
- Users in Indonesia, Brazil, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, and South Korea surpassed 5 hours per day in mobile apps in 2022.
Mobile Marketing Statistics: Mobile Ad Spend
Wondering how much money are brands spending on mobile ads? These mobile marketing statistics will answer all your questions regarding mobile ad spend.
Data source: data.ai and Statista
- Mobile accounts for 64% of digital ad spend.
- In 2022, the global mobile ad spend reached $336 billion, growing 14% YoY.
- Mobile ad spend will reach $360 billion worldwide by the end of 2023, growing at an 18.5% CAGR.
- Short video apps like TikTok are driving mobile ad spend.
- Social media platforms are experiencing a decline in mobile ad spend.
Mobile App Statistics
Mobile apps are an essential part of any mobile marketing campaign, with more app users than ever before. Learn more about how the mobile app market is performing by reading the following mobile marketing statistics.
Data source: data.ai, Adjust
- While mobile games experienced a decline in consumer spending, mobile apps were more resilient and grew despite economic instability.
- In 2022, mobile apps got 255 billion downloads, which is 11% YoY growth.
- Mobile apps earned $167 billion in 2022 – 2% less than in the previous year.
- 1,419 apps and games generated over $10 million annually in 2022.
- 224 mobile apps and games surpassed $100 million and 10 surpassed $1 billion annually.
- The most downloaded apps in 2022 were Instagram, TikTok, and Facebook.
- Subway Surfers was the most downloaded mobile game of 2022.
- Apps that achieved the highest consumer spend in 2022 are TikTok, YouTube, and Tinder.
- Video streaming apps were number 1 for both downloads and consumer spend in 2022 with a 16% share. Disney+ was the leading app in that subgenre.
- In Q1 2023, ATT opt-in rates across all app categories have increased compared to Q1 2022, averaging 29%. Gaming is leading when it comes to ATT opt-in rates, followed by e-commerce.
Top Mobile Markets in 2023
Our list of mobile marketing statistics wouldn’t be complete without top mobile markets by downloads, consumer spend, and hours spent.
Data source: data.ai
Top Mobile Markets by Downloads
- The leading mobile app market in terms of downloads is China – it went past 110 billion downloads in 2022. That’s almost half of all global downloads combined.
- India and the United States are in second and third place. In 2022, there were 28 billion and 12 billion mobile app downloads in these countries.
- Other leading mobile markets include Brazil, Indonesia, Russia, Mexico, Turkey, Pakistan, Vietnam, the Philippines, and Egypt.
- Pakistan is the mobile market that experienced the biggest growth in 2022 compared to 2021 – 35%.
Top Mobile Markets by Consumer Spend
- On a global scale, the mobile app market saw a drop in consumer spending in 2022 compared to 2021 – it was down -25%.
- The top three mobile markets by consumer spend are China ($58 billion in 2022), the US ($42 billion in 2022), and Japan ($17 billion in 2022).
- Other leading mobile markets in terms of consumer spend include South Korea, the UK, Germany, Taiwan, Canada, Australia, France, Brazil, Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia, Italy, and Thailand.
- Taiwan, Brazil, Hong Kong, and Mexico markets experienced the biggest growth at 15%, 22%, 34%, and 17%, respectively.
Leading Mobile Markets by Hours Spent
- Globally, time spent in mobile apps grew 9% YoY.
- The top three mobile markets by hours spent are China (1.1 trillion hours in 2022), India (7.4 billion hours in 2022), and the US (2 billion hours in 2022).
- Other leading mobile markets in terms of time spent are Brazil, Indonesia, Pakistan, Russia, Philippines, Mexico, Vietnam, Egypt, Thailand, Ukraine, Japan, and South Korea.
Mobile Marketing Statistics: Social Media
Social media platforms should be an intrinsic part of your mobile marketing strategy – it’s the best way to reach customers. With more users using social media apps than ever before, this industry sector is growing at a rapid pace. The following data confirms that.
Data source: data.ai, Kepios Analysis
- There are 7 billion social media users in 2023, growing at 3% YoY. That is almost 60% of the total population.
- In the past year, users spent an enormous amount of time using social media apps – more than 2 trillion hours! That’s 16% more than in 2021.
- On average, people spend 2 hours and 31 minutes per day using social media.
- Facebook remains the biggest social media platform with almost 3 billion users. It’s followed by YouTube with 2.5 billion, and then WhatsApp and Instagram with around 2 billion users each.
- Downloads for social media apps reached 7 billion in 2022 – a 15% increase.
- Similarly, social media apps’ consumer spend also grew by 15% and reached $8.7 billion in 2022. The United States accounts for a quarter of that.
- The main reasons why people use social media are to keep in touch with friends and family (47%), fill spare time (36%), read news (34%), find new content (30%), and see what people are talking about (28%)
Mobile Video Statistics 2023
Over the last couple of years, mobile video consumption skyrocketed. It’s no wonder the video ad format is so popular for mobile marketing campaigns. If you’re still not utilizing mobile video – the time to start was yesterday.
- There were more than 200 million smartphone video viewers in the United States in 2022. (Yans Media)
- TikTok is the leading short video app in terms of downloads and revenue. (data.ai)
- More than 80% of all videos are viewed on mobile devices (Statista)
- In 2022, video accounted for more than 25% of all mobile advertising spending. Moreover, it will make up 26.5% of mobile ad spend by the end of 2023 and 29% by 2026. (Statista)
- People are twice more likely to share videos than any other type of mobile content. (Wyzowl)
Mobile Shopping Statistics 2023
Mobile commerce has experienced a boom over the last couple of years. Despite economic instability and privacy changes, this sector is hitting new heights and breaking records.
Data source: Adjust
- Shopping apps made up 58% of all e-commerce installs in 2022.
- In 2022, users spent almost 110 billion hours using shopping apps – 9% more than in 2021.
- Retail app sessions have increased by 7% in 2023.
- Retail app stickiness and retention have decreased in 2023.
- November 2022 was the biggest month ever for e-commerce in-app revenue.
- Mobile commerce is responsible for 66% of all e-commerce sales globally in 2022.
- Mobile commerce is set to go past $530 billion by 2024.
- Social commerce reached $45 billion in 2022, led by fashion brands. Shoppable ads on TikTok and Instagram were the most popular.
- More than 50% of consumers are shopping on their smartphones.
- China is the global leader in contactless payment adoption.
Mobile Personalization Statistics
I’ll leave you with mobile marketing statistics that illustrate how important it is for brands to personalize mobile experiences.
- 91% of consumers say they are more likely to buy from brands that provide relevant offers and recommendations. (Accenture)
- 72% of consumers say they only engage with personalized messages (SmarterHQ).
- 84% of businesses report that customer experience is the key personalization factor (Evergage).
- Personalization can increase the efficiency of advertising spend by up to 30% (Adweek).
- 67% of consumers think it is important that brands automatically adjust their content based on their real-time actions. (Adobe).
- 55% of marketers believe that the biggest advantages of personalization are increasing user engagement and improving user experience (Evergage)